UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I was suspended from yesterday at tesco paying birthday card

Customer Question
I was suspended from yesterday...
I was suspended from yesterday at tesco for not paying for th birthday card two worth two pounds each I was stopped by th security guard they asked me if iv paid f them I told them I thought I did but I did not they asked me for the receipt I did have one on me I was so tired and stress out at work iv forget to buy for the cards which iv place in my bag without paying for them they suspended me from work they told me they will call me for an interview with them and also to let the store manger know what happened in my interview I told them I thought I payed for the cards but I didn't I'm so upset about this I was underpresser from work I had my bag in the dept were I was working will I be sacked from work what iv done
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
1/4/2016
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
23 years now

Being placed on suspension is not an automatic assumption of guilt and does not amount to disciplinary action. It is there to be used as a precautionary measure whilst an employer investigates any allegations against the employee. Reasons for suspending could be in the case of gross misconduct, breakdown of relationship, risk to an employer's property, their clients or other employees, to preserve evidence or ensure it is not tampered with, avoid potential witnesses being pressured or intimidated, etc.

During the period of suspension the employer should conduct a reasonable investigation into the allegations against the employee. If the investigation gathers enough evidence to justify the taking disciplinary action that could be the next step. In that case the employee has the right to be informed in advance of the allegations against them and be given the opportunity to prepare for the hearing.

On the other hand, if the investigation does not find enough evidence to justify a disciplinary, the employer should terminate the suspension immediately and allow the employee to return to work as normal.

No one can actually predict if you will be sacked or not – that will only become clear after the disciplinary hearing, if it proceeds that far. However, I would say that with 23 years service and the value of the items just a few pounds, together with the reasons for your actions, a dismissal is unlikely and if it does happen – you could consider a claim for unfair dismissal.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer