How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 9118
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is an 85 year old woman in Hove, East Sussex BN 35 QA,

Customer Question

There is an 85 year old woman in Hove, East Sussex BN 35 QA, England that was left a home in the US by her deceased sister. The sister in England is her only heir. There was no Will. I being a neighbor and friend want to buy the house. I made an offer that was accepted by the sister in England. Deposited earnest money. I Completed and returned paper work sent to me by the Attorney. Attorney contacted sister in England and requested power of Attorney to settle this estate. Sister said no she would sign required documents. So required paper was sent to her and was told she would have to go to an Embassy in England to have the documents Notarized. This sister does not have a phone, I don't know if she has health problems, how far an Embassy would be from her. The Attorney has not received a response from her in over a month. Would there be someone in England that could be contacted to help this woman get this paper work completed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help. Ideally your lawyer should instruct a counterpart in England to help get this paperwork resolved - there are a number of law firms in the area who could assist and if you wish I can obtain a list for you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree with your answer and will discuss this matter with the Attorney. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did think of another Question . Can the 85 year old woman in England just sign a non-durable Power of Attorney for a single transaction such as the closing of a sale on a home. I just read this becomes effective immediately. Usually A POA has to be Notarized with the exception of real estate transactions, a power of Attorney generally does not have to be filed with a government agency. Does this mean it does not have to be Notarized? The Attorney did ask the woman to give him Power of Attorney. But she said no she would sign the paper work. So he sent her all the papers she would have sign and told her she would have to go to an Embassy in England to sign and have Notarized. This has to be the big delay. Being 85, no phone and no transportation. She probably didn't understand the Power of Attorney could be just for this Real Estate transaction. Getting to an Embassy might just be to much for her. Maybe getting back to her explaining the Power of Attorney just might work for her now. I should have given you all this information when I first contacted you.