Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I sold a leasehold property in July 2015 and my solicitors

Customer Question

I sold a leasehold property in July 2015 and my solicitors retained various sums including �6900 for works carried out by the freeholder in 2014 which had not been invoiced at the time of the sale. The freeholder issued a final invoice for �3286 in October and this was paid from the retained funds. My solicitor is now refusing to release the remaining �3614 to me until the buyers' solicitors confirm that the buyers are happy for this to be done. So far this has not happened and my solicitors keep telling me the buyers' solicitors are still awaiting instructions from their clients. How much longer can this go on and what claim could the buyers have on the �3614? Other sums have been retained to cover service charges. Thank you for your help.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Very often it is the case that the buyers solicitors will have to provide written confirmation for such funds to be released to you. There is however no reason as to why this should normally take any longer than a month post the conclusion in October. If I was you I would write to the senior partner at your solicitors and seek an explanation and also for this to be resolved within the next seven days, failing which you will make a complaint to the legal ombudsman. The Legal ombudsman has specific powers with regard to complaints about solicitors. I hope that this helps. Please rate positive