UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

In a telephone conversation with the GMC relating to a

Customer Question
complaint I made to the...
In a telephone conversation with the GMC relating to a complaint I made to the GMC against my GP relating to racism, my GP disclosed confidential information relating to a previous formal complaint I made against another dr at the same surgery and the fact that I have now registered with a new surgery
The disclosure was made despite the fact I had withdrawn consent in writing some six weeks ago, for my GP to share any information pertaining to me with any third party.
The GMC have written to me today in relation to my allegation of racism and informed me that they will not be pursuing an investigation, as well as disclosing the information relating to my previous complaint, which given the fact I did not share this with them, must have come from my GP.
Has my GP breached confidentiality and the conditions of their licence to practice as a dr?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
12/13/2015
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

What is the racism here?

Apologies Jo for the delayed response.The racism is in my GP's statement "So you are not planning on putting a bomb under parliament" inferring that as I originally come from Northern Ireland, I must therefore be a terrorist and member of the IRA.Hope that is clearer

I am very sorry but that isn't racism.

Actually it doesn't seem to me to refer to the IRA at all. If anything at all it is a reference to the Guy Fawlkes plot which would suggest an anti Catholic feeling if anything at all.

Either way, Catholics are not a race and neither are the Irish. Catholicism is a religion. Ireland is a nationality.

The reason they will not be pursuing the investigation is that there is no basis for the allegation I'm afraid.

I know this isn't the answer that you want but it is really important to make complaints sparingly. All complaints of this nature do is undermine any subsequent complaint that you have upon legitimate grounds.

I am very sorry but that is the reality.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Your profile suggests that you are a barrister with 5 years+ experience.Please provide both your first and surname, as well as your unique barristers register reference
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister