How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34263
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It's a question regarding my late mothers will, where me and

Customer Question

Hi there, it's a question regarding my late mothers will, where me and my brother are named executors and beneficiaries, our solicitor suggested that I have reserved power and leave paperwork to him, which I decided to do, since I gave this authority my brother does not speak to me anymore, my solicitor was kind enough to provide the will, but since then I am not getting no correspondence from the solicitor neither my brother, we have sold one property a fortnight ago and I still haven't heard about a distribution, every time I try corresponding with the solicitor she is busy, I get promised a call back which doesn't happen, my brother is point blank ignoring my texts and calls so I spoke with the solicitor and told her I need more correspondence as my brother won't talk to me, I was wondering, because I have power reserved does that mean I have to sit and wait for them to contact me and not know a thing? Or step up because i am not happy with the treatment, we was both named equally on the will , I took a back seat on good terms, I never imagined this would happen? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Why did the solicitor suggest that it would be a good idea for you to simply "reserve power"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I think it was because my brother had most of my mothers documents, and he also knows a bit more than me in certain aspects, which I was happy at the time, but obviously we are not speaking now so the situation has changed, therefor I am completely being left in the dark regarding everything, I only seen a copy of the will because the solicitor agreed to send me a copy, and it is now proving very difficult to speak to my solicitor as well, I have a feeling she is avoiding me as I have rang several times to be told she is busy or out of office etc, and told she will contact me by her secretary which still hasn't happened, thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

In fact since you have Reserved your Powers rather than Renounced them you can in fact apply for Probate as well and then all documents will nee dto be signed by both of you.

You can obtain a copy of the Will and the Grant of Probate using the service here

I would then suggest that you write to your brother and the solicitor and inform them that unless you are kept up to date with the way matters are progressing at least once a month then you will indeed make Invoke your Powers.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well