How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70421
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sue in small claims court? 3 months ago I saw a story

Customer Question

Can I sue in small claims court for fraud ?
3 months ago I saw a story run by the BBC about a homeless veteran , I read the comments and saw a charity had stepped forward to help. I contacted the charity to tell them I had a house I was about to rent and would offer it deposit free to them for this gentleman . They said they would pay his rent and bills and offer him a job . It later transpires that these people were not a charity at all and had raised money off the back of this story. I was left with a homeless ex veteran in my home and 2 months of no rent or bills . I've been left financially ruined by all this. The police have been informed and I have a crime number. These people is transpires have de frauded others too. There is a claim in place for the loss of rent but can I also sue for fraud the individuals in small claims
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Which is the charity?

Do you have any evidence they agreed?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What loss are you hoping to claim for in addition to the rent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The charity were calling themselves the shine with pride trust . I have lots of evidence and screen shots to prove this . The BBC ran the story when it came to light this was a fraud . I have lost 4 months so far of rent and of course I've been funding the bills for this homeless ex veteran who has thankfully now been helped by another legit charity and moved out . Can I claim for this and compensation ? I am on the verge now of losing my home
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent a small amount of the files I have , I have lots more but this should give you a general idea
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What is your loss beyond rent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 months rent of 725 , I've only claimed for 1 month currently as Charlotte only sent me a letter agreeing to cover that month after the BBC interviewed her ( she hasn't paid that )
3 months of utilities and council tax in excess of around £500
Ferry fares to and from the Isle of Wight totalling £250
Loss of earnings trying to sort this out £330
Can't put a cost on stress
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just received this email from someone who used to work for shine with pride trust
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You don't have a claim for stress I'm afraid. That is not a head of compensation in the UK.

You only have a claim for what they agreed to pay but did not. They seem to have agreed to pay rent and bills so you would be able to claim for that at the small claims court.

I'm afraid you don't have a claim for loss of earnings. This is just a simple property dipsute.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the fact they fraudulently claimed to be a charity when this was in fact not the case . Wouldn't this come under torte of deceit ? Misrepresentation to gain donations from the public ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Even if they did there is still no claim in law for losses not incurred or things that do not amount to heads of compensation.