UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I was chatting to someone on Facebook, they Skyped me, then

Customer Question
Hi I was chatting to...
Hi I was chatting to someone on Facebook , they Skyped me , then we both got nude and she then threatened to put this on the Internet . Is this illegal , she also recorded without my knowledge
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2015
Solicitor: Stuart J, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor

Good afternoon.

My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to help you with this today.

Is she demanding any kind of money?

Why is she threatening this?

As much background detail as possible is really useful please.

No one knows who you are or where you are including me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No reason just on Skype was a random add.
Then starts treating me saying she will ruin my life.
U.K. Based .
What I want to know is shall I report her or just leave it I have blocked her over social media . I only started to speak to her today
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her name is ***** ***** on Facebook is a fake account. Have I formed my friends of her .

Thank you.

It’s unlikely that whoever this is is actually not based in the UK.

This is harassment which is an offence under the Protection from Harassment Act. It should be reported to the police and I would suggest that you printed off the relevant pages and took them with you.

It is likely that this would eventually be followed by requests for money which is then blackmail, also a criminal offence.

You should also report the user to Facebook who will block the account.

Ultimately, the police are going to need a physical address if they are going to prosecute the person and it’s unlikely that they would get that.

I can tell you however that Facebook do take complaints of this nature very seriously and I would be very surprised if the account had not already been suspended.

I’m not certain whether that answers the question for you or not but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please do not forget to use the rating system so that I get credit from my time here today.

The thread does not close, it remains open if you want to follow up anything or need clarification of any points. Kind regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok have blocked her and will report this tomorrow. As am away , just want to know that I am ok . And she can't do anything that will affect me .

She can’t do anything legal that would affect you. However to avoid other people having the unpleasant experience that you’ve had, you’re better reporting it to both Facebook and the police.

Stuart J
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor