How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im from the uk and looking to get a -2 visa, i got arrested

Customer Question

im from the uk and looking to get a b-2 visa, i got arrested in Indiana in 2012 for public intoxication and resisting arrest the resisting arrest charge was dropped and they said the PI would only last a year on record, so im wondering should i put it down on the application
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** it’s my pleasure to assist you with this today.

I need some more information from you please.

What is the exact wording of the question on the form please?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

This is the wording from the embassy “Therefore, if you have ever been arrested/cautioned or convicted, you are required to declare it at the time you apply for a visa. As we do not pre-adjudicate visa applications, we cannot discuss future applications by email. “

So, you are required to disclose it however it is unlikely to stop you getting a visa and in any event, as this will appear on the record somewhere, the last thing you want to do is get to the United States and get turned back at immigration.

In fact, the documents required for the United States are quite Draconian and even require you to disclose arrests. The following is in relation to convictions in the UK will still apply for convictions or arrests in the United States

you would normally be denied entry for any crime which involves Moral Turpitude. No doubt, you won’t know what that is and that’s not surprising. Here is a definition from which you will see that you would be in the clear in that respect.

does that answer the question?

Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

Please note not forget to rate my answer service positively so that I get credit from my time today.

The thread does not close, it stays open if you want to follow up any points.