How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70282
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to legally change my name well in advance of

Customer Question

hi, is it possible to legally change my name well in advance of a court case to avoid my real name appearing in the local media?.. i am already experiencing a backlash from my neighbours due to a police search of my flat and genuinely fear for my own safety and that of my property if the local media eventually report my name. thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It is possible to change your name by deedpoll.

But it won't achieve the result you want Im afraid. The Crown will just amend the charge to include your new name and your old name will be reported as an alias.

I'm very sorry but there is just plain no way of doing this. Justice must be open in the UK and that includes the freedom of the press to report upon it.

There is an application that you can make to restriction the freedom of the press but it is almost never allowed and you have to show that the press will literally raise a mob to place your life in danger. Even then they always find ways around it.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?