How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ben, How can I transfer ownership of my house to my mother,

Customer Question

Hi Ben, How can I transfer ownership of my house to my mother, I have no mortgage on it,
OK. I owe my mother a significant amount of money and wish to transfer my property into her name, dfo I have to use a solicitor to do this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for your patience.

If there is no mortgage on the property and you own it in your sole name then there is nothing preventing you legally from doing this. However, if you decide to proceeds then it would be wise to instruct a solicitor.

You would have to download and draft a Land Registry TR1 form from the land registry website:

You would then have to execute this with your mother.

If it is the case that you are transferring the property to your mother is in settlement of the debt that you owe to her then you will have to decide what amount to enter in the box of the transfer for the “consideration” of the transaction. It may be correct that you should enter the sum you are repaying in this box. If so, then your mother would have to submit a stamp duty return (and settle any stamp duty) so that the SDLT land transaction return can be submitted when you attempt to register it (it won’t be registered otherwise).

Also, you would want something in writing from your mother confimring that your debt to her is settled as a result of the transfer.

Once you have executed the transfer you would then have to submit form AP1 (from the above website) to the relevant land registry office with the transfer, SDLT5 (if applicable (ie if there was a consideration for the transfer) and the requisite land registry fee. You can work out the LR fee here:

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,


Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.


Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave feedback.

Kind regards,