UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I have an issue with a possible contrived tenency .I have

Customer Question
HI I have an issue...
HI I have an issue with a possible contrived tenency .I have been renting with same tenants for 10yrs .the rent is below market rent.they only pay the amount they get from Ihb
I kept the rent low because they looked after the house
payment is payed direct to the letting agent
Will I be prosecuted for this who will pay the ovet payment tenant or landlord
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
11/5/2015
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Sorry but I'm not sure what the artificial issue is?

Can you give someadvice will I need to pay the money back or could they take the house of me

What is the artificial issue with the tenancy?

Sorry I don't understand what you mean of artfitical issue
Is it not classed as contrived tenancy if I am charging a low rent
Sorry can you help

Ok.

Why do they say it is contrived?

I think the reason they say this is because it is a low rent which equals the hb payment .they are good tenants so I left it low...The letting agent recieved the rent direct and manages the property..I pay them a fee and also pay my taxes..do you see a problem. Thanks for your help

Do you have any connection to the tenant?

No connection

I don't think that is likely to amount to a contrived tenancy. This is just a cheap tenancy because you haven't increased the price. There is no particular connection to this tenant or reason to keep the rent low.

Otherwise there is clearly an agreement as a letting agency manages it.

They might want an explanation but I cannot see a case at this stage.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

No thanks for your advise

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister