Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

During the time i committed my speeding offence, a number of

Customer Question

During the time i committed my speeding offence, a number of actors where affecting me at the time. Moving house, finding out my girlfriend has an ectopic pregnancy, subsequently finding new job to be at home, also starting up a new business with said partner! Do these qualify as mitigating circumstances?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not really. I am sorry.

Not a lot impacts upon speeding as it is an offence of strict liability. Mitigation is normally about the facts of the offence - e.g shortness of any distance driven at speed, clemency of the weather, absence of heavy traffic etc.

Also a court would consider the absence of any relevant offending, guilty plea, expressions of remorse.

Sorry if that is bad news but your personal circumstances are not really a factor for this type of offence.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else you wanted to know?