How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34121
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the early process of changing my name, due to credit

Customer Question

Hi Joshua,
I am in the early process of changing my name, due to credit ruined by another person. I know I can do it with Deed of poll, BUT that won't really solve my problem because my new name / identity can still be linked with my date of birth, right?
So I am planning to not only change my name, but also my date of birth, and place of birth - is this possible? If yes, how?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, my wife credit is also affected as a consequence, due to linked credit file and address - how do I help her to address her credit record problem?
I also have children - if I change my name, I can still be easily be traced / trackked to them, and them to me by credit companies etcd - how do I address this?Thank you.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

What name you use is optional - but your date and place of birth are set facts and they cannot be changed.

Having said that given the thousands of people born each day if you change your name and address then it is unlikely that your date and place of birth will be of any assistance to anyone

Please ask if you need further delay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** that all the advice I paid £33 for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or are you in the process of researching further, which I sincerely ***** *****
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I am happy to answer any other questions that you have - but the straight forward answer to the question that you asked is that no it is not possible and if you try and adopt a different identity - which is what using a false date and place of birth would amount to - then that would be fraud

Bad credit is a problem for everyone - but changing your name and address is usually a way of delaying being identified

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Claire, ok, I certainly do not i9ntend to commit fraud, I am trying to escape from one committed on me!!!Thanks for your offer to advise further - now, if I do cnage my name and address, what is th effect on my current rights and ownership of my house - which is joint owned with my wife and has a mortgage? When I become another person, how do I then handle the property ownerships, the mortgage and the debts registered on the property?Thank you.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are not becoming a different person - you are simply changing your name and you will remain the owner of your share of the property - and liable for the debts