How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 9118
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently admitted to a speeding offense in writing, I sent

Customer Question

Hi, I recently admitted to a speeding offense in writing, I sent my driving license and a cheque for £100 (the original fine) go the justice centre. I later received my driving license back with a compliment slip. Few weeks after that I received a request for £180. Not knowing what this was for (here it gets a bit confusing as I have a couple of unpaid fixed penalties for parking offenses due to me not updating my car registration timely, they were writing to me previously at my old address).
I wrote a letter to them asking for clarity. I had no response. I had a further letter crossing in the post about the £180. A month later £45 was deducted from my pay via an attachment of earnings - I recall filling out my income and expenditure for the speeding fine so assumed it was their way of getting the fine off me (according to my bank they had never cashed the £100).
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Following the £45 deduction I wrote the justice centre yet again with another letter, this time with a cheque for £55 (to total £100) advising I'd now assumed it was for the speeding offense and would they accept the £55 to close the issue. Last Thursday I received a reply, finally explaining what is going on. Advising me the £45 was for an old parking fixed penalty and the the £180 had been forwarded to a bailiff following a warrant. The bailing actually visited on Monday whilst I was in work and the total is now £490. I called the justice centre today but they advise they followed process despite my complaint of:-
1) nobody replied to my initial guilty plea with a response or cashed my cheque
2) I was not informed at any point what the £45 deduction in my pay was for. Neither has anyone explained why they have debited my pay for a 2 year old parking fine but gone straight to bailiff with my 6 month old speeding fine.
3) the letter last week was the first clarity that the £180 was in relation to the speeding fine. Remember the initial fine was £100. What with other other fines being in letters I have no way of reconciling what's what.I asked can I apply for a statutory declaration but was told this for people who were unaware of the proceedings not for people who were unaware of the fine. If I didn't want to pay a fine I wouldn't have admitted the offense in the first place, seems illogical to me. Anyway I've been advised there is no way out other than to deal with the bailiff at the £490 irrespective of if I think the courts process has let me down or not. A gentleman at hm coulda told me I had no grounds for complaint. Any help would be appreciated.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If i can ask the court to retrieve the debt back from the bailiffs on the grounds u don't believe they gave me sufficient time or info to pay it before referring it to the bailiffs. At this point with bailiff fees it's trebled
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm really sorry but they won't. Come what may, there is an outstanding amount and you accept recieving it which they can prove because you wrote in commenting upon it. That was not paid so this went to bailiffs. There is no basis o get that set aside.

The bailiffs may give you time to pay though. They will do deals often as it saves their manpower. I'm afraid the bailiff fees are due though unless they have overcharged.

Can I clarify anything for you?