How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70417
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to remove a conviction from my record and

Customer Question

Is it possible to remove a conviction from my record for shoplifting and failing to attend court from over 12 years ago. I received a fine. I am not that person anymore and I am desperate to be able to be the mum and wife I want to be. I have struggled with depression and anxiety for a long time nd finally got help earlier this year, I am slowly regaining my confidence but would really like to volunteer ant my childrens community club but I am so afraid a DBS check will show up my past and my children will be isolated because of it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What level of checking are you facing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it would involve working with children.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You are enhanced checked.

I'm afraid that this will always be on PNC and will always show on enhanced checking unless you can convince the chief constable that it is not relevant.

In truth, that happens only rarely largely because the chief constable tends not to favour taking risks.

If he does refuse then you can judicially review that decision but that is expensive and it is a high test and you should be aware of that.

This will no longer show on standard or basic though.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your honesty. Whilst I may have only got a fine the punishment I have given myself over the years has been been unbearable. I am utterly ashamed of my actions at a desperate time in my life. A stupid moment of madness has wrecked any career hope I had and will take away my involvement I could have with my children's community. I'm not a bad person I just got into a bad place years ago. However I am very proud that I turned my life around. Met my husband started a business and now have three wonderful children.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I contact the chief constable? I have to try!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You would find the procedure here

under trying to stop it being disclosed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.