Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My son is now 18 and lives at home. Because he now shows no

Customer Question

My son is now 18 and lives at home. Because he now shows no respect to me or my property (which I own outright) and has become physically and verbally violent I want him to leave. He pays no rent and currently attends college. Is he classed as an excluded occupier? If not how can I legally remove him?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

If he pays no rent and never has then he is just a guest. You can ask him to go at any time and if he will not use proportionate force to remove him although I wouldn't suggest the matter. He is male so you do, at least, have the advantage of not being at risk of being accused of domestic violence but it is still very dangerous. A better option is to wait until he goes out and change the locks.

To be absolutely sure I would give him written notice of fourteen days. He may well not go on day fourteen but he isn't going to spend the rest of his life in your house without ever going out. He will have to go out in the end for some reason or another and then you can just change the locks.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Jo. Just to clarify. There is no reason for court proceedings? Just an eviction notice?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Not if he hasn't paid rent.

I do think it a good idea to give notice and not use force. You don't want to spend your days defending ridiculous allegations that you were in Satanic abuse and black masses which quite interestingly seem to be quite regularly made after something has happened that displeases the accuser. However, I am sure that is a mere coincidence and no more.