Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
32019188

Issue is regarding comments made and submitted to the GFA

Customer Question

Hi. Issue is regarding comments made and submitted to the GFA from a referee regarding Management and players behaviour and the comments that are far from the truth. The statement has been received, and the Manager will now have to face the GFA where it is understood disiplinary action will be taken as a matter of course, no matter what defence is presented. The comments also include references to foul play and language of players ( under 14 girls) which there a concern this may affect their future in the game. ThIs has affected the Manager hugely as the report was no reflection of the game. Could this be classed as libel?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jenny Mackenzie replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you saying that events described by the referee are made up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are not a true and honest reflection on events and have enclosed his comments. I have statements from our Management, however am not privy to anything further

Thanks I'm sorry for the delay.

I am afraid that this would not be classed as libel as in order for something to amount to libel it needs to be publically made. A report to a committee would not be deemed to be publically made.

If you have evidence that it is untrue then it could be deemed to amount to negligent misstatement. This is something that you can take legal action for, however it is only possible (in the UK) to sue for actual financial loss and it is unlikely that you will suffer a financial loss as a result of this report.

It seems therefore, that you will need to rely on the GFA rules of procedure to deal with this. I would suggest you ask for a copy of those to see how you can appeal and what other procedural remedy you may have.