How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 3671
Experience:  LLB, LPC, DELF
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Alex, I instructed a web developer to construct a wordpress

Customer Question

Hi Alex,
I instructed a web developer to construct a wordpress site for me, I paid the initial 50% deposit, The rest was to be paid on satisfactory completion, I received no other terms from him, I have had to pull out of the project early due to health reasons, I have explained this to the developer, He has subsequently sent me an invoice for the outstanding amount and threatened to contact a solicitor, Does he have any case?
Kind Regards
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. Has the developer actually done all the work? Do you know how much work they have done? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They claim to have done around 80%, But before the project had been ended the basic functionality still hadn't been set up, And many of the features in the original invoice had to my knowledge not been started. I received a test login to the site and it looks a long way off what i wanted, The terms in the invoice read
'If the quote is accepted, the payment terms are 50% deposit upfront and the balance payable when you are satisfied with the test website, prior to launching onto live domain.'
Kind Regards
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. I think they would have grounds to claim for the work they have completed, but they cannot claim the whole 100% as this would just be a penalty. You are not terminating the service because you are unsatisfied you are terminating it because you no longer need the service. Your options are: (i) Ignore the claim write to him and deny it, say you have not received the service and will not pay any more for it - if he sues you, you will have to defend or settle the claim; (ii) Write to him and say you have not received the full benefit of the service, say that claiming the full invoice for work he has not done is nothing more than a penalty - on that basis you can then offer to try and settle with him for the work he has done. How much is he claiming you owe him? Kind regards AJ