How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70289
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold some baby clothes that my children have outgrown

Customer Question

I sold some baby clothes that my children have outgrown privately. The person who purchased them came to my house, inspected them, handed over the money and took the items. They have since contacted me to say that they want to be refunded some money because there aren't as many items as I approximated in my advertisement - I think that they are lying. They have said they are taking me to small claims court as in my advert description they do not think that the amount of money I said I spent matches the number of items I have sold, but they had these figures beforehand and inspected the items before purchase, so do they have a case? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they do. Even though this is a private sale there is still a requirement that the items be as you described. They can rely on the law of misrepresentation.

If you are saying that they are wrong on that point then that is a defence.

The suggestion of a misrepresentation is rather undermined by the fact that they did inspect these goods but I don't know whether they are saying that there were more than could be counted?

It is quite unlikely to lead to the small claims court anyway. It is very easy to say that they will sue and a lot harder to do it.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Can I assist further?