How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Matthew J Your Own Question
Matthew J
Matthew J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 671
Experience:  4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Matthew J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have Ltd company in UK and I'm subletting a property into a

Customer Question

Hi ,
Have Ltd company in UK and I'm subletting a property into a rooms,
thinking about insurance against injures,slips etc to secure my business Also think about to have right
agreement between me and landlord and me and tenants.
Next question is who is responsible for all safety in the house ,like fire alarms etc,what about people deposit should i keep that all on company account?
Please help me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Are the tenants on assured shorthold tenancies? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,thank you for your replay,yes they got in tenancy agreement minimum stay of 3 month after that period tenancy is ongoing with two weeks notice for tenant and two weeks for my company
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,still waiting for answer.
Expert:  Matthew J replied 1 year ago.

Hi I will try and help. When you say you are subletting into rooms could you clarify please. How are the tenants occupying the property? Do they share a kitchen and bathroom? Is this property a HMO?

Expert:  Matthew J replied 1 year ago.

Also, are the tenants agreement Assured Shorthold Tenants (as Alex asked) as your reply was not altogether clear? And have the Tenants tenants paid deposits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Subletting-im renting from privet landlord and after that buying furniture to the house and renting as a rooms
for example-3 bed house i have rented from privet landlord ,after that im renting for three individual couples ,two people in each room.
2. Tenants have own room but sharing bathroom,living room and kitchen
3. Properties are not HMO they have only two floors so HMO is not needed.
4. The tenants agreement is not Assured Shorthold agreement,is just tenancy agreement between me and them on basic rules.
5.Yes they paying deposit but im keeping everything on the company account.Thank you for your advice
Expert:  Matthew J replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks. Firstly, do you have the consent of the private landlord to sublet? if not you need to get this formally. Secondly all tenancy agreements of this type are Assured shorthold tenancy agreements (unless you also live there and they are effectively lodgers). Regardless of what you put in the agreement this is what they will be treated as should they come before a judge. Because of this you will also need to protect the deposits in a deposit protection scheme, and give the required information to the tenants, or you will be liable for up damages to 3 x the deposit to the tenants,plus you wont be able to regain possession. In addition since 1st Oct 2015 a raft other other measures have come in, i.e you must get a Energy Performance Certificate for the flats and give a copy to the tenants; you must give a copy of the gas certificate to the tenants; you must have a proper smoke and carbon monoxide alarm in the property;

Expert:  Matthew J replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully I have helped. If so kindly leave positive feedback so I can be paid for my time. the question wont close and if you have any follow up question late you can always post