How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70521
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend has confided in me that he was raped when he was

Customer Question

a friend has confided in me that he was raped when he was five by a 12 year old. he is now in his forties. As a child can be criminally responsible at 10, can he realistically gain a prosecution?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

He can make a report. It will be considered.

Whether it will lead to a prosecution is another matter. These are offences are difficult enough when they are reported expeditiously. Generally speaking delay is not a prosecutor's friend.

There is a chance of a prosecution. It depends on the strength of his evidence.

Whether he will be convicted or not is a further question entirely. The conviction rate is not high although that has no particular relevance to this case.

It would be irresponsible of me to tell you there is a good chance though.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - If there are no further witnesses that he can call on, is his evidence in effect inadmisable or irrelevant?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Who? Your friend?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

No, it is not inadmissible. It just might not be enough alone to support a conviction.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you. I guess he needs to decide then whether to report and pursue this. Sadly he's been sitting on it for decades and it has impacted severely on his life. Thanks for your advice
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

No problem. All the best.