How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70298
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a plumber. I did some work customer and went on

Customer Question

Hi, I am a plumber. I did some work for a customer and went on holiday. There was a leak and he wrote to me to say that it cost him £2000 to repair. He demanded £2000 to be paid into his account within 14 days or he would take legal action. Upon phoning him this morning it transpires that he had already received this money through his home insurance. Is this trying to obtain money through falxe pretense
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Well it rather sounds as if he might. He is not allowed to double claim and on the basis that he has been paid you do not owe him the said sum. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It is not as simple as that quite.

Certainly he cannot claim double compensation from you and the insurance company. What he can do though is claim the excess and maybe the increase in any premiums.

However, I would not get involved in negotiating with him because the insurance company may well pursue you themselves.

Can I clarify anything for you?