UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I sent a private email to a company that is owned by a

Customer Question
parent company. My boss went...
I sent a private email to a company that is owned by a parent company. My boss went on a seminar and saw that I sent an email to one of our sister companies. He immediately questioned this person about the contents of the email. Is this legal? They are run as 2 separate companies and I consider my email to the sister company requesting employment to be private and confidential. The Manager from the sister company gave My manager the information.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 day by:
9/21/2015
Solicitor: Jenny Mackenzie,
 replied 2 years ago
Jenny Mackenzie

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are these UK companies?

Hi Jenny:Here is the scenario, I work for the cruise lines, in my case, Carnival UK, and the person I was sending the Private email to through my private email account is Holland America looking for future employment. Both of these companies are owned by Carnival Corporation in Miami, Florida. Both Carnival UK and Holland America are completely separate companies run by their own management. There was a seminar where all the Environmental Officer were together, the Environmental Manager at Holland America was doing a presentation and during the set up, my Environmental Manager from Carnival UK saw my emails for the Environmental Manager at Holland America. The Environmental Manager from Carnival UK immediately questioned him about the content of the email I sent him, and stupid as it sounds, the Holland America Environmental Manager told him I was looking for employment with them and they had a discussion about me. At Carnival UK we observe the Data Protection policy instituted by the UK government. This basically states that we can not give out any information or opinions on any staff members, it also says that they can give out any information without my authorization....etc. Is it legal for the Environmental Manager of Carnival UK to ask for information that I consider confidential and sent from my private email to Holland America. I hope this helps....
Solicitor: Jenny Mackenzie,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi Ray, thanks for the clarification, just for my complete understanding can you tell me how long have you worked there for and has the employer taken any action against you as a result of this?

Hi Jenny:
I have worked for Carnival UK for over 6 years......I have a Senior Management contact at Holland America who put me on to the Environmental Manager of Holland America....I have been in monthly contact as per Holland America instructions for almost 3 years....After the discussion I got an email politely telling me to go away, and my Environmental Manager from Carnival UK actually told the guy from Holland America to send his greetings to me in the same email. Yes, this has reflected very bad for me with the Environmental Manager from Carnival UK.
Solicitor: Jenny Mackenzie,
 replied 2 years ago

Can you clarify what your monthly email discussions have been about?

My monthly emails were just a basic check in letting the Holland America Manager know that I was still interested in working for them if a position became available. This was at Holland America's request, and all of a sudden it stopped after the discussion with the Manager at Carnival UK. My main concern is that the Manager at Carnival UK's request for what I consider to be a private and confidential emails. I feel he has no legal right to ask the Holland America Manager for this email info. If there was no seminar he would have never known about it. It was really none of the Environmental Manager UK's business.
Sorry for being so long winded, please see slides I put in from Carnival UK's Data Protection policy. Please see attached. Thanks.
Hi Jenny: Sorry, I just thought I would let you know that I am chatting with you from Thailand, so there is a bit of a time difference. Central Standard Time is 12 Hours behind us here in Thailand. Its coming up on 10 pm, and my son needs to get up at 6 am to go to school, so I will be going to bed soon, my apologies. I will check and answer any questions you might have first thing in the morning...thanks. Just wanted to let you know ..... Ray
Hi Jenny: I did not receive your final answer on my query, would you kindly send again. Thanks so much. Ray
Hi Jenny: Sorry for the delay, I do not want to delay your payment, but I have not received my final answer to my query. Please send to me and I will rate you immediately. Thanks so much. Ray
Solicitor: Jenny Mackenzie,
 replied 2 years ago

Sorry for the delay I will get an answer to you asap.

REgards

Good Day Jenny: I am pretty disappointed that I have not received an answer to my question after 8 days....If you cannot answer my question, just let me know and I will ask for a refund. All I really want to know is: Is it legal for the Environmental Manager of Carnival UK to ask for information that I consider confidential and sent from my private email to Holland America. As stated above. Thanks.
Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie