JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

The life insurance company AIG sent my trust document to

Customer Question

The life insurance company AIG sent my trust document to flat 2 instead of flat 21 where I live. I don't know the flat 2 residents and they are renting. They opened it accidentally because they thought it was for their landlord but put it through our mailbox when they realised it was for flat 21. The content of the letter was confidential medical information about my terminal illness as well as the certified copy of my discretionary trust document. I'd like to know if what they've done is actually against the data protection/data privacy or any other laws? I mean have they broken some law or just done something against guidelines rather than law? Would I have a decent case for litigation? Though considering my terminal illness it's the last thing I need to go through
Category: UK Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You do have cause for complaint as it's clear that a mistake was made which has had an adverse effect on you. They haven't broken any specific laws. This doesn't come under data protection as it's posted material and not material held electronically. They have been negligent and if you could establish a financial loss you would have a right to sue them in negligence. However, as there is no financial loss, if you want to take this further the appropriate way is for you to utilise the insurance company's complaints procedure and seek an apology. Happy to discuss further. I hope this helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.