Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

The matter has not been resolved, and furthermore these

Customer Question

The matter has not been resolved, and furthermore these lodgers, having first lied by saying they were staying, have indeed left. The male lodger texted me yesterday morning to say they were on their way back. In fact he alone returned, but only to give
back the keys and serve me with a letter full of complaints about the state of the room, and a request for bothe the rent and deposit to be paid back. Can you advise me?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.

I have sent an answer - I would add that I would not return the deposit unless and until they have left and then you would return the deposit on the basis that there is no damage. I hope that this helps - please remember to rate positively.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have left, but given that they lied directly to me in person eg when I asked the male lodger if they were moving out he replied categorically no, they were just returning some of their stuff to their flat and would be back; then lied again on the phone and by text, I don't think it's fair that they should get anything back at all, neither the rent nor the deposit. They'd already seen the room, then moved in. But it wasn't for nine days that they actually confirmed they were leaving. Why not complain before? They had enough time to.

Well I agree - but technically in law they would be entitled to their deposit back unless you have suffered a loss. Just so you know - please remember to rate positively - thanks happy to answer any more questions

Please remember to rate positively - thanks