Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was looking mobile phone on Ebay and contacted a seller to

Customer Question

Hello.
I was looking for a mobile phone on Ebay and contacted a seller to see if he would take my 10" Sony tablet in part exchange plus �100 for the phone he was selling for �270.
he replied to my offer and told me to text him with details after which he text me back and agreed to the deal.
He text me and told me to send hime the Tablet, then he would send me the phone and if I was happy with the phone to then send the money via Paypal.
I sent the Tablet next day recorded and he text me to say he'd received it, but said he didn't want it because he thinks it has been repaired.
After a few texts back and fore arguing about the condition of the Tablet, we agreed that he would just send it back to me and cancel the deal.
We are two weeks on now and he hasn't sent it back.
I have text him several times with minimal replies and phoned him once where he again agreed to send it back, but nothing.
I no longer get any response at all.
All txts available, inc name and address.
What can I do?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Do you have his address? Don't give it to me but do you have it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have his name and address, as he gave it to me to send the Tablet to.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Ok. What is the value of the tablet roughly?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About £170 used value.
His phone was advertised at £270, hence I was offering an extra £100 on top.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

You have two options to enforce this. I wouldn't start there though.

I would send him one letter or email. Make clear that if he does not return within 7 days you will sue and seek costs and interest.

If he does not then you can issue for the value here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Or seek an injunction forcing him to return the tablet. That is more expensive but it recovers the tablet if that is your wish.

It won't come to that though. He will return fast enough if he thinks he is being sued.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No That's fine.
I will contact him with my intention to sue if he doesn't return it.
Thanks.
Richard.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.