Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

My Fiance had a construction job in South Africa, and was

Customer Question

my Fiance had a construction job in South Africa, and was paid by check when it was almost completed. Because he has no bank account in South Africa, he mailed the payment check to me in the U.S. Because they did not take out the taxes on the check, he was held in South Africa for more than one month when the job was completed. He had to try collect money from me and other friends to pay the taxes.
I should insert here that his first month there, he had to take a loan out with a UK based loan company for payment on his rental of equipment, and for employee pay. So, now when he finally got to leave South Africa, they held him at Heathrow airport because they claim he was trying to get away without paying the loan 30 days after the completion of the job.
He cannot get a loan in the UK and he is at the mercy of friends and family collecting money again. In the meantime, I am overwhelmed by all the loans I took out to help pay for the taxes and he and I are victim of the loan company not understanding or refusing to understand the circumstances. He will soon be behind two months on this loan. We don't know who to turn to.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I failed to add that the check was made out to his construction company. I have no way of depositing the check or sending him he money.
I just spoke to my fiancé, he has already spoken to an attorney. I don't need any information anymore. please stop payment beyond the $5.00.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again, please accept the $5.00 payment, your services are no longer required.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

I note what you say about your fiance having found an attorney but am very concerned on your behalf

There is no basis on which he should have been stopped at Heathrow - so do please ask if you need further assistance

Clare