UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I recently called 999 during an emergency I want to request

Customer Question
I recently called 999 during...
I recently called 999 during an emergency
I want to request a copy of the call
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
9/8/2015
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

For any particular reason?

My boyfriend took a heroin overdose - thankfully he is ok. It was very traumatic for me and I am undergoing trauma therapy (including exposure therapy and EMDR) so the tape would be a part of this process. My boyfriends counsellor recommends (and he agrees) that he listen to it so he can understand how serious this situation was. We are also having therapy together and we agree that it is important that he can be fully aware of the effect his using has had on me psychologically and emotionally.

Thanks. I am really sorry but they are not going to disclose it on that basis. This is a data protection issue quite apart from all the confidentiality issue that relate to criminal evidence. You can ask for disclosure. You can make a freedom of information request. They will refuse. The only way to force disclosure is to secure an injunction and there is no realistic basis for that. Even if they do disclose they will black out anything of interest. I'm very sorry. They will disclose evidence in appropriate cases to interested parties but not as part of therapy I'm afraid. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo

Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister