Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My husband and I are now divorced. I still live in the

Customer Question

My husband and I are now divorced. I still live in the family home. I am Disabled and receive Benefits including DLA. Until now, my husband was paying half the mortgage and I was receiving Support for Mortgage Interest benefit for the half I was paying. (I then paid the Top-Up).
Now my husband has stopped paying half of the mortgage, will my Support for Mortgage Interest benefit be increased (doubled?) because I am now funding the full mortgage?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

why has he stopped paying?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a simple answer so to explain more - as short as possible! .... Our 20 year marriage was an abusive one. He is very controlling & I am very frightened of him. Eventually, the Domestic Abuse Service became involved when I broke down, during a stay in hospital recovering from an operation, over 2 years ago. He then left the home went to live with another woman. As I grew stronger, I applied for a Divorce which became `Absolute` a few months ago.
The home is in Joint Names (Ownership). He did agree to pay his half share but throughout, he continually threatened to stop paying in an attempt to keep control of me. In short, he always believed that he could come back BUT when I followed through with the Divorce, he was livid & the Mortgage payments stopped.
Apparently, he has told Northern Rock (our mortgage provider) that he cannot afford to pay it anymore yet I am aware that he lives in a very large house & drives an expensive car, etc., etc.
He stopped paying because he no longer has `control`
I am disabled & it is very hard on my own but I am much happier without the threat hanging over me.
I have been advised to have no contact with him.
I am more than happy to expand on ANY points & am willing to answer question to help me decide what is my best course of action.
I am loathe to leave my home as I have the most wonderful neighbours. My Family are all 200 miles away & I would be in far greater difficulty if I had to leave the support network around me, on which I now rely.
Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

My question really is whether he is in breach of a court order to pay the mortgage etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Court Order
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Court Order or any other legal obligation.
Not an agreement as part of the Divorce.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for my silence for a few days. I had a fall & was unable to continue the conversation.
Correct - There is No Court Order or any other legal obligation & not an agreement as part of the Divorce.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello! I have not yet had an answer to my initial question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your website is now asking me to ask the question AGAIN! AND requesting payment for asking it again.
Yet I have not yet had a response to my first question.
Please respond urgently!!