How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 3666
Experience:  LLB, LPC, DELF
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in an large house divided into 5 independent flats

Customer Question

I live in an large house divided into 5 independent flats which are all owner occupied. There is a management company which composes of one director from each property. The problem is that one of the owners has had financial troubles and has not paid the management fees for approx. 18 months now (they are used to cover buildings insurance and to form a sink-fund for unexpected emergency work). He now owes approx. £1000, with the debt increasing by £60 each month and there this doesn't look to change anytime soon. I am looking to sell my flat but the debt on the management company accounts is making this difficult. What options do I have to resolve this situation? I do not wish to force him to sell his property. Someone suggested the management company gets a Lien against his debt or that the management company should take him to the small claims court. Obviously he is a member of the management company, so I'm not sure how he could take action against himself. The management company charter is very basic so there is nothing in it about removing a director or how to deal with such a situation. Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed please.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Do you know whether he has a mortgage for the property? Kind regards AJ