How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34233
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been seperated from my ex months and have two

Customer Question

Hi i have been seperated from my ex for 9 months and have two children aged 4 and 2, he has been having regular access and taking them for days out which was no problem.. Until my 4 year old recently said theyd been going out with his current partner and her daughter.. I had no knowledge of him having a partner as when i have asked him he always denied and said he was on his own, we both made an agreement that when we both do find someone the children will not be introduced until we no its serious.. Do i have rights to say to him he can have supervised access until i no who my children are with in his care and i can trust him again? Thanks Hannah
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Have you spoken to him about this?


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi clareI have asked him about it and hes denied everything, i asked him why would my 4 year old say what she said and give me names if it wasnt true, i had no reply from him.
I trusted him with my children under the agreement none of us introduce new partners until we no its serious and what type of person is around our children.Hannah
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

What is the actual pattern of contact?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When he does a week of the 6-2 shift at work he comes for them 3pm-7/7.30pm but then the next week when he does the 2-10 shift at work he does not come for them at all that week
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

Have you ever attended Family mediation?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have suggested mediation to him but he will not, he just wants to go straight to the courts.
I had no issue with the agreement we had in place, he will not be honest with me with regards ***** ***** my kids are around and thats the part i do no like.. If he does apply for court do i have the right to ask for supervised access until he can be honest and truthful with me?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

Do you have any historical reason to be fearful of the kind of company your ex keeps?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The problem i have is the people he hangs around with are younger and not the sort of people i want around my children. The woman hes supposed to be with does not have a very good reputation and not who i want around my children.
When i send the kids to my ex im under the impression they are solely with him, i do not personaly no the woman but he has not been honest whos around my children, he has said to me he does not want my children sround another bloke and iv respected his wishes, i feel i can no longer trust him with my children but its not fare on the children to miss out on there dad. I do not no how to move forward.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

i am a little confused - do you know something about the person in question or not - if you do what about her gives cause for concern?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I no about some trouble from earlier this year which has just come to light and involves my ex trying to run over her ex in the car, i do not no the reasons behind this.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

Whilst I understand completely how betrayed you feel that your ex is going back on the agreement in this way it is not in itself sufficient to

to justify supervised contact in the future.

Unless you have evidence that this woman is a risk to children then there is no basis on which he can be said to have endangered the children, and since they have already met her there is nothing to be gained from preventing further meetings

You should arrange a meeting with a Family Mediator so that you can agree a parenting Plan with your ex setting out the agreements made in writing, but do tread carefully and do not threaten to stop ongoing contact

I am sorry not to give better news - please ask if you need further details