How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 10528
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is entitled to an irish passport and has lived and

Customer Question

Hi my son is entitled to an irish passport and has lived and worked in ireland. He has met an american who has just finished studying in the uk and her student visa runs out in jan 2016/ Can he marry her in ireland and then enter uk or would they have to remain in ireland?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they returned to the uk as husband and wife having got married in ireland does he still have to fulfil the UK requirements eg earning 18,500 as he is starting a business it is not feasible in the short term to prove his income to the uk authorities. or does coming in married from ireland negate that.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Yes, he can marry this American girl in Ireland and this will then give both of them the right to enter the UK. Ireland & the UK are a common travel area, so once you are lawful in one part of Britain or Ireland, this give you the right to travel to the other part. Here, if your son has been in a relationship with this American girl for two years, and they have been cohabiting, then she can obtain right as his partner to continue to live in Ireland. Obviously, she can also simply marry him and obtain similar rights to remain in Ireland on the basis of being his spouse as he is an Irish citizen. Be aware that after three years married to him, his future wife will also be entitled to apply for an Irish passport which will bring her problems of obtaining visas to live in Ireland or Britain to an end. Go to for the application forms for a spouse of an Irish citizen. This is the website of the Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service and you will find further information there.