How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70198
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm writing to enquire about a community resolution order I

Customer Question

Hi, I'm writing to enquire about a community resolution order I received this year. To explain, I went through a bitter break up with a partner as I discovered he had been unfaithful to me. Unfortunately in anger I ripped some of his clothes up. He then called the police and had me arrested for criminal damage. I was given the community resolution and had to compensate him financially. The police men that dealt with were confused themselves as to why he rang the police about this, and they have reassured me that this won't affect my career in teaching - I'm about to start my training in September. The police know I feel incredibly guilty about what I did and it is certainly not in my nature to do anything like this. My ex partner has told me he felt awful for calling the police and had tried several times to get his statement retracted. The police man said he is going to write on his records that I should have never got arrested and this was a domestic and should have been dealt with privately without police involved. I'm still incredibly worried if this ever will be put on my DBS check if I apply for a new one in the future. Any information about this will be appreciated. Claire
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm afraid that will show on enhanced checking DBS. It will be recorded in a way that reveals that you were not convicted but the fact of the allegation will be revealed if deemed relevant.

If you are going to be a teacher then anything involving temper issues is likely to be considered relevant.

Never take advice from police officers. They have absolutely no idea. thing

In fact, the right thing to do would have been to refuse all offers and make a no comment interview because he never would have given evidence against you and you would have walked away with nothing although the fact of the allegation would still be on enhanced level checking.

I'm very sorry but that is the reality.

you can ask the police not to include it but you have to satisfy them that it is not relevant.

I'm afraid this is the damage that people do when they call the police to domestic rows.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. Can I ask will this ruin my career in teaching completely? Or will schools give me the opportunity to explain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Can I ask, will this ruin my career in teaching completely? I have worked so hard to get to this stage and I am heart broken at the idea of a small error damaging my life plans. Would schools give me the opportunity to explain if that is what it came to?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They will give you an opportunity to explain. The advantage of disclosing yourself is that you can explain

However, it does involve a loss of temper in a domestic context. For what it is worth, my own personal view is that that is the sort of thing we all do sometimes but we have partners who don't keep the police on speed dial.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sadly though there are people who think that what we euphemistically call domest abuse is worthy or our attention

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

A criminal damage suggests a temper issue. That might concern a school.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo,I have read the response via my email and it is appreciated.Thanks for your time,Claire
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem. All the best.