How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 32990
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just stuck with a query I have 2 sons to a father called

Customer Question

Hi just stuck with a query I have 2 sons to a father called Christopher Langan but my children on this birth certificate have my last name on them but their father has no access to them due to him been a sex offender am I able to remove his name without consent and if I am can my partner who is called Anthony Kay adopt them with my consent and not the fathers?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.

As he is on the birth certificate you would technically need to make an application to the court for a specific issue order for the name change. As to the issue of adoption.

You need to tell your local council if he wants to adopt your children. You must do this at least 3 months before applying to a court for an adoption order.

The child must also have lived with both of you for at least 6 months.

The adoption assessment

The process to adopt is similar to an assessment through an adoption agency.

The assessment is used to help a court decide if you can adopt the child (rather than being sent to an independent adoption panel).

The court will ask your local council to provide a report on:

  • your partner
  • the child
  • the other birth parent

The report will be prepared by a social worker and will be used to help the court make a decision.

If granted, the adoption court order gives you parental responsibility for the child - along with your spouse or partner.

The order also takes away parental responsibility from:

  • the child’s other birth parent
  • please rate positively - thanks
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.

I hope that this helps - please rate positively for me - thanks