Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I have received a fixed penalty notice for �100 and 3 points

Customer Question

I have received a fixed penalty notice for �100 and 3 points for driving a car in condition likely to cause injury.
I am a taxi driver and the police told me that the radio (fare meter) fixed in car was loose. And the tyres seems defective.
On the same day I took my car to a mechanic to change the tyres, he told me from two tyres are new and need no changing, rear one tyre is 2.2 and one is 1.7 need changing in a week time. As the legal limit is 1.6.
Now I want to appeal in court and sort this out in court. Should I accept the penalty notice and send my license to endorse 3 points on it. Or I take the matter to be dealt in court.
Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
On what basis would you contest this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic gave me in writing that two front tyres are new. One rear tyre is 2.2mm and the other one is 1.7mm, where as the legal limit is 1.6. And the police haven't checked it with any machine just looked my tyres and issue notice. In the next hour when I visited the mechanic he checked and told me that. So I want to argue in court that none of tyres were on the legal limit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to show in court the piece of paper on which the mechanic draw that all the tyres were working at the time police stopped me. Like front two tyres new and need no changing at all, the rear one tyre is 2.2mm and the other rear one is1.7mm. And the legal limit on which police issue notices is 1.6mm.
Whereas police also add to my notice that the fare meter was loose thought it was not hanging/fallen but he touched it and by purpose moved it with the hands and told me look it is loose.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
OK.
So what is your defence?
You seem to accept there was a fault? Or do you dispute that?
Also, I notice you haven't yet rated three previous answers so I would be grateful if you could do that now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excuse me Jo, please read my question carefully and then kindly answer.
You rushing but not concentrating on the answer.
I have already told u that none of my tyres were on the legal limit which is 1.6mm. So why the officer issue notice to me.
Give me simple answer, otherwise return my deposit.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I think that I will opt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. And refund my deposit please