How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 11135
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a council tax demand /2016 and apparently the

Customer Question

I have had a council tax demand for 2015/2016 and apparently the council have a court order for me to pay the whole year including 2016. However we have moved and the council are saying we still need to pay the full amount and then refund me the difference when the new tenant moves into our house.
My question is can the council demand the full 12 months council tax before 2016 ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
Is the property currently empty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the property is currently empty , its being decorated .

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Generally of the council get a court order your right to pay by instalments ceases. However if you apply for empty property relief from the day the tenant from the date the property was unoccupied and unfurnished that should solve the issue.