How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jusleen Your Own Question
Jusleen, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 942
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jusleen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex bought a house in 2006 and added me to the

Customer Question

Hi there josh, my ex bought a house in 2006 and added me to the mortage....I then had a baby but split with him and moved out a year later and have had no contact what soever for nearly 8 years now (he got married last year and they are still living in the house ) I received a letter from his wife earlier today informing me he has had a stroke and unable to work so therefore can only afford half the mortage I liable?? Obviously I cannot afford this as I've my own bills and rent to pay...please advise leisa.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jusleen replied 2 years ago.

Hi welcome to Justanswer. As joint owner you are liable for half the mortgage payments. However if you cannot afford this then you would need to consider having your name removed from the property either by transfer or sale. You need to put in writing that you cannot afford to pay the mortgage and if the payments are not affordable to the other party then the house will need to be sold. You need to also make it clear that you will make a referral for mediation. Mediation is a prerequisite of any court application and if mediation is not successful then you can make an application to court for the sale of the property. To find a suitable mediator please go to

I hope this assists. Please rate the answer to enable me to be credited for my time. If you are interested in further dialogue I am prepared to continue dialogue with you at no extra charge.

Kind regards