Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

How does a prisoner keep the electronic tag on m if he has

Customer Question

How long does a prisoner keep the electronic tag on him if he has to serve 5 months in prison? He will be out on the 4th of September when he serves 2.5 months in custody.
Thank you
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Basically my brother has been sent to prison for 10 months for benefit fraud however he has to serve 5 months and his barrister told us that he will be out when he serves 2.5 months.He has applied for an early release 'tagging' and they've accepted his application, so I just wanted to ask whether he has to serve the whole 2.5 months before he gets released early? and also how long would he have to keep the tag?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello? Is anyone there?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
It does depend upon the terms of his release but normally a person wears a tag whilst on home detention curfew overlay and then it is removed for the remainder of his sentence which is served in the community.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't understand what you've meant, sorry.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't understand whether he would need to have the tag on for the rest of 5 months or 10 months?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
It depends upon the conditions of his release but normally it would only be up until the half-time points so in his case five months.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ow ok. Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/