How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 10623
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a criminal record the words "negro trash" in

Customer Question

Hi. I received a criminal record for using the words "negro trash" in public five years ago. Can I have this record expunged?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.

1.After seven years, the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act kicks in and the conviction becomes "spent". then you can have all public records relating to you altered to reflect the fact that the conviction is no longer operative. Anyone then referring to the conviction is acting unlawfully. HOwever, until then, it is not possible to do anything about having the conviction expunged. The seven year period runs from the date of conviction.