How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 32990
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are an elderly couple living in a housing association

Customer Question

We are an elderly couple living in a housing association terraced house which is attached to a sheltered accommodation unit. We moved here in March 2014 hoping to enjoy a quiet life sitting in the small garden but find we are surrounded by many cats (at least 18) who are allowed to roam day and night, fouling the patches of garden at front and rear, having noisy fights, as well as foxes doing the same thing. Our neighbour has two small dogs, had two cats and has recently taken in two Bengal cross kittens and these cats (not the dogs) use our gardens as a toilet constantly. We have installed, with the neighbours consent, Prikka strips along the timber fences along the right boundary and back, bordering allotments and a railway line. The cats also have the run of the allotments but climb over the fences to get into the back gardens and try to come in through the kitchen window, back and front doors when open but left fence is low wire netting which they jump over. Please advise.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.

I see. This is a common issue. Nuisance pets and pet owners who are irresponsible can have legal action taken against them, which would usually come under anti-social behaviour and both noise and smell nuisance laws. There is legislation in place to cover all of these issues which usually falls under the responsibility of your local authority’s Environmental Health Department under the Environmental Protection Act. It would be this department you would contact first.

Advice on keeping certain pets and training advice, if appropriate, can be offered to pet owners but where persistent or serious offences are being committed, fines of up to £5,000 and pet removal, in certain circumstances can result. The other option that you have is to make a complaint to the RSPCA which can also take criminal proceedings against the neighbour if appropriate.

I hope that this helps.

Please rate positively