How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 11271
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What damages can be expected to be aid to somebody who has

Customer Question

What damages can be expected to be aid to somebody who has been the victim of malicious falsehood which has been written, published in press and in spoken word?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jenny Mackenzie replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Have you suffered any financial loss as a result of this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In fact the company that I left was being sold and I was terminated the day the sale went through in order for the owners to avoid honouring my options which amounted to 8% of the company.There is no good cause for termination in fact up until the week before I was stated as the key element to the companies success.I was put on immediate gardening leave and not allowed to contact any staff clients suppliers or press until September 1st.I also own a company that provided services to the holding company and their clients.It is my belief that as a result of the comments and language used by the owners my reputation and potential business discussions have been damaged.Clients with projects that I ran across the company were told I chose to leave rather than the truth and one client specifically said to me I have left them in the lurch.To answer your question I lost 1 Million pounds worth of options that was to vest on sale and now future earning based on reputation with clients.
Expert:  Jenny Mackenzie replied 2 years ago.
Ok I need to go offline so I am going to opt out to see if someone else can answer. Do not respond otherwise it will come straight back to me.
Thanks and good luck.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
From what you say you have two issues:
1. A possible claim for damages for breach of contract arising from the termination of your employment. That action may also deal with the stock options and your losses arising there.
2. A claim for defamation arising from untrue statements made about you or your business.
The quantification of these claims cannot be made without a substantial analysis of you and your business finances and would normally be carried out by a forensic accountant with access to all financial books and records and a full statement of the facts.
For that reason you will have to take this case to your own solicitor who will be able to take that statement and instruct the experts needed to take this forward for you.
I hope that this helps.
Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.