How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 9147
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed away earlier this year. The local council

Customer Question

My father passed away earlier this year. The local council dealt with funeral arrangements and retrieved the money from his estate. There is a small sum remaining of around £4000. I am one of his 4 children, he did not leave a will. I was wondering how to go about having this money distributed equally between all of his children. We live in Scotland but my father lived in England
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
If the debts have been paid and there is no one else who has an entitlement then you would normally just distribute the estate between the four of you. The fact is that where the estate is less than £5,000 – probate isn’t usually needed. In this case, you should write to the bank, building society, or the organisation holding the money.