How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 32979
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister an alcoholic, she prevents me from seeing my niece,

Customer Question

My sister an alcoholic, she prevents me from seeing my niece, who I was raising, because she is not getting any treatment, and she is afraid to let me know what is going on in her home while she is drunk. She is terrible liar, she put all family against me , she is passing out every weekends for 3 days, her daughter is sent to anybody, before it was me and my family. Many times I saved her life, she was found unconscious, I had to resuscitate her, she is teaching her child to cover for her when she is drunk and not answering phone. Do I have any writes as an aunt?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
Technically you do not have specific rights as an aunt, but there is much that you can do.
You should tell Childrens' Services if you have such concerns.
You can apply to the court to spend time with the child under s.8 of the Children Act 1989 (although you would need to apply to the court for permission to make such an application).