How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 33011
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tree in an ally way at th

Customer Question

I have a tree in an ally way at the back of my home. The tree is now about 120foot high and I have asked repeatedly for it to be pollarded. The owners refuse to allow access for the tree to be touched. 20 years I have been asking ! The lime trees exude sticky sap block light in the morning and have damaged my planting. Not sure what to do. My garden is only 45foot long. My neighbours on one side of terrace are also unhappy about it. The ally was owned by an estate and represented by a law firm . The firm says ally now belongs to houses at the back and is not the estate responsibility now. Branches fall off. Tree surgeon say tree is dying. Can you advise what I can do. Thought I could chop off overhanging branches but this may well cost thousands of pounds now. Thank you Denise XXX email jacksonblake1XXX

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
You are correct to recognise that you can cut down any branches which overhang your property.
Where you are concerned that a tree is diseased or damaged and poses a danger due to having fallen, or being at risk of falling, you should contact the owner of the land on which the tree is growing.
If the land belongs to the local council, contact them to request that the tree is cut down or pruned.
If you are unable to contact the land owner or they refuse to take action, contact your local council's Environmental Health Office.
The Environmental Health Office may be able to invoke the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 if the tree poses an immediate risk to Property or people. This allows them to serve notice on the land owner to make the tree safe. If they fail to do so, the Environmental Health Office may undertake this work themselves. The land owner would then usually be charged for any gardening required.