UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I would like to know if my son has criminal record in England,

Customer Question
UK...
I would like to know if my son has criminal record in England, UK
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
7/6/2015
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you have his consent to find this out?

I do

I do. He is totally demoralized, not wanting to move onto a new job, etc., because he claims he has a criminal record which new employers will look at. I beg you to help me

We can't tell you what is on his record as you would need to do that with his help but |I can tell you of the procedure you need to follow

Many thanks, ***** ***** me know the procedure

Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 entitles an individual to request from a data controller a copy of any information which amounts to personal data about them. The process is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). The police would be a data controller and you son can contact them directly to request this information from them. If you wish to make a SAR, you need to write to the organisation that holds the data in question. Your letter should include the following information:• Make it clear that you are making a 'subject access request in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998';• Provide details of the data you are requesting copies of;• Your main personal details - full name, date of birth and address; The organisation may ask for a fee to fulfil your request, which should not be more than £10. Once you have provided all the relevant information and fee, the organisation must send you a formal response within 40 days. It is best to contact the police force responsible for dealing with the incident to see if they have a specific form or procedure for making such a request and they will be able to advise you in more detail of what you need to do but the above is the general procedure. What is important is that you need your son’s consent to do this, in fact he needs to make the request himself as they will only release his information to him, not to anyone else. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer