UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

My son is 17 and learning to drive he took his car today and

Customer Question
got stopped by the Police...
My son is 17 and learning to drive he took his car today and got stopped by the Police as the car is in my name I have to produce my dicunents to fet the car back which is held in a compound he said they havent charged him with anything and because of his age they wont tell me anything what do you think will happen to him and should I get a lawyer thankyou Andrea
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
What do you think will happen to him once I hand my documents in I can not get the car back until I get a copy if the insurance
Can he still continue with his driving lessons in the mean time and can he sit his test or does he have to stop now
7/1/2015
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is there any reason you think he may not be able to ?
Im still waiting on a reply to my first question
I need the information I asked for?
What information
My original question was my 17 is learning to drive and he has a car which is in my name today he took the car and drive it on his own with his friend the police stopped him and have impounded the car I understand i need to produce all documents to get the car back he has told me the police did not charge him with anything he only has a privisional and the insurance us in my name which I know makes the car not insured what will happen to him and can he still continue with his driving lessons in the mean time
Thanks
He will probably be prosecuted for no insurance and no licence.
If you haven't made a statement against him then they will not prosecute him for TWOC but they might summons you for permitting no insurance.
Driving without insurance carries 6 points or a ban but they won't ban on the first occasion. No licence carries 3 points but that will be concurrent rather than consecutive. It will show on his licence that there were two offences but they will not both be considered for the purposes of totting.
He is free to carry on with driving lessons. He is not subject to a ban.
Both offences will carry a fine, court costs, CPS costs and a victim surcharge.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
The car does have insurance for myself and my husband and him as a learner driver as none of us were with him i thought the insurance would be void
Yes, it is void.
The point is that he was allowed to drive without insurance and the police could say that you allowed that because you didn't make a statement against him for TWOC.
They don't always do that but they could.
Should he have been charged there and then as he says he has nit been
No. They would normally summons with this type of offence anyway.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister