How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 33011
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I�m hoping you will be able to help me in gaining further information in rectifying what I

Customer Question

I�m hoping you will be able to help me in gaining further information in rectifying what I believe to be a false outstanding debt, and subsequent Judgment in Default. Dated 16/6/2015.
I am not a resident of the United Kingdom and have been a non-resident for over 8 years. This CCJ in question I have only been made aware of from a Equifax update. 1/7/2015
To clarify i have no knowledge of the debt.
As i do not reside in the UK i have not received any communication, notice of default or otherwise from the claimant or from the court. So i have not been in a position to dispute this claim.
I believe i can submit a N244 to have this set-aside, however what is the process to do this from outside the UK ?
Is it something i should do myself?
What evidence is acceptable to prove i was not in receipt of communication due to being non-resident? ID card, Flight details, immigration records from Qatar?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
Have you been in contact with the company which obtained the judgment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been in touch via email with no reply and also by phone, where they refused to answer any questions and were basically very threatening. Also refused to deal via email going forward. Which for me is only choice as i live in the middle east. Post can take upwards of 3 weeks to get there.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Judgments are only registered for 6 years. The other option is to make the application to court to get the judgment set aside. The court in considering your application would want you to be prompt in making such an application. You would not need to be in the country. You can get solicitors to act on your behalf in making the application
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is having a solicitor acting on my behalf the best option. And what sort of cost range might this be? Any advice on a suitable solicitor?
Is there any links to documents and further reading to help me understand the process?
As above judegement was mad 16th june. And only today was i aware of this due to equifax alert this morning.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
I always take the view that it is better to have a solicitor than not. Also credit companies will usually deal with their questions and are less likely to bully. The costs can rise depending how long it takes to resolve - they are normally between £100-200 per hour plus VAT. The process is really set out in the CPR (the court rules). As to solicitors I would suggest one near the local court for this case.
Please remember to rate.