Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

When I was 15 I was sentencing to 12 months custody for

Customer Question

Hi
When I was 15 I was sentencing to 12 months custody for indecently assaulting a 12 year old boy, now 27 I've been caught downloading indecent images of children, I fear a prison sentence is only going to happen in this case, it's not hundreds or thousands I would say total 100-200 maxi have a 5 year old son who I love to pieces and would never hurt him or anyone as the way I did when I was 15, what advice could you give me? Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wanted to know if prison will be the only option for me, I'm scared that I won't be able to cope with this, I fear for my partner and son of my name and address to into the local paper also
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
What is the level of the images?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They will range from a,b,c but not even 10 will go into the most serious of category A
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also I never shared my images or tried to arrAnge meetings with underage children, I did this for personal use only and now it's eating me up inside that I will lose everyone I've ever loved in my life
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
You wouldn't necessarily get a custodial sentence.
Your previous matter will be considered. There is no way around that. It is a relevant offence although it is fairly old now.
However, people do receive community orders and suspended sentence for offences involving indecent images and quite often they have far more than you did.
The risk though is that social services may well be interested in the welfare of your child and start making demands that you live elsewhere.
You will be placed upon the sex offenders register again and probably banned from working with children.
Actually though I would have expected a community order.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you also clarify if I could protect my family in regards ***** ***** going into the local paper because I fear my family would have to move even if it meant I couldn't live there for a while also, I don't want there lives having to change anymore because of what I've done, it's not fair on them
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No.
Your son cannot be mentioned and the court will make an order protecting his identity.
However, the local press are free to report upon your sentence I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So they can mention my name and where I live? If so how does this protect my son? X
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, they can.
They cannot mention your son's name.
the identity of children and youths is protected in law. Otherwise the press are free to report the sentencing of crime.
They do not generally mention actual addresses although they can mention areas.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I try to convince the judge that it's not in the best interest to mention my name and area because people know me and will know my son from my name?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm trying to protect his name more than anything, I don't want people knowing my son and saying his dad's a so and so and to not play or associate with my family
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No. I am sorry.
A Judge will not entertain an application to restrict the press on that basis and even if he did the press would find a way around it.
A really hallowed part of our constitution is the freedom of our press and the openness of our courts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there always someone from your local press in the court rooms at all times? Is there any chance it might not go into the paper at all just by them not knowing?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No.
In fact, it is fairly sporadic. It really depends whether they have other news and whether there is something more interesting in other courts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi,I went back to the police station today where they asked me more questions, they found a total of 13 images, 9 level C, 2 level B and 2 level A, what do you think will happen from here, also what is the best way to go around social services in being able to move back in with my family
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
That isn't all that many actually. Have you accepted responsibility for them?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Also, please remember to rate my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, yes ive been conplety honest since the first day and told them that it was me what do you think might happen from here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry how can i rate answers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also do i have human rights in regards ***** ***** back home with my son?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, what do you think the outcome will be regarding the number of images, also what can i do in regards ***** ***** services and will i be aloud to go back home after the case is over?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I will opt out for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You will opt out for me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cant you just give me your advice on what you think might happen?