UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I'm Henryk Kozubski and received a letter from Magistrates

Customer Question
Hi, I'm Henryk Kozubski and...
Hi, I'm Henryk Kozubski and received a letter from Magistrates Court to aswer to the charge to section 29(1) Act 1994.I'm from Poland, leaving in UK since 2000. In 2008 I brought the vehicle from Poland and since I was driving this vehicle in UK. On 15th January I was stopped by Police and I been told that I'm driving unlicensed motor vehicle, so Police officer arranged the recovery and my vehicle was taken to the police car park. I went to collet the vehicle , paid Ł260 and was informed that I'm not allowed using the vehicle because I'm longer than 6 months in UK. I wasn't aware about this at all, so on that day immediately I have begun registration procedure and my vehicle has been modified to the UK specifications and having UK registration plates. Please could you advise me what to do as I'm feeling that I'm not guilty. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/14/2015
Solicitor: Alice H, Solicitor/Partner replied 2 years ago
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
Do you have a clean licence?
Yes I have clean driving licence
Good morning
Many of the laws which relate to using motor vehicles in the UK are 'strict liability'.
This means that it doesn't matter whether you think you are right - if the law is that your car must be registered in the UK and properly insured then the fact that you misunderstood or made a mistake is not relevant.
Unfortunately, the fact that you think you are not guilty will not help you. The law is that any car that is brought in from Europe and is being driven by somebody resident in the UK then that vehicle must be registered and insured. If this was not done in your case then sadly you are guilty of the offences and even if you plead not guilty the court will find you guilty because your explanation is not a defence.
I am sorry that this is not the answer you were hoping for but I have to give you an honest opinion of the situation.
I am happy to discuss this further with you if required.
Alice
Alice H
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner