UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have been accused of an assault in april that wasnt me,

Customer Question
hi, i have been accused...
hi, i have been accused of an assault in april that wasnt me, the police want me to go down for questioning thursday but i doy want too, i have enough going on as it is and this is just making everything worse, they have no evidence it was me they are just going on someone saying my name and seeing one of my facebook pictures! can i refuse to go down if i dont want too, i have all the proof that it wasnt me too as i was away that day!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/13/2015
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Yes, you don't have to attend voluntarily.
If you do then the police will just come and arrest you on another occasion. An allegation has been made and they have to investigate it.
Nobody can force you to surrender as a volunteer. The consequence of refusing will be that the police will arrest you probably on a day when you have other plans.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister